|Information We Collect||Information We Collect When you use or visit our Services, we collect Personal Information directly from you (e.g., when you apply for Services). We may also generate information about you (e.g., information about your device while you use EarthLink Services). In some cases, we may also collect Personal Information from third parties (e.g., third party referrals).|
|How We Use Your Information||We use your information to provide our Services to you; to provide you with advertising and offers that may be of interest to you; and for other purposes described below.|
|How We Share Your Information||We do not sell your Personal Information to third parties for money. We share your information with our Service Providers (including payment processors, customer service companies) to provide Services to you, and for other reasons, including legal and security purposes, described below.|
|How We Protect Your Information||We maintain technical, administrative, and physical security measures designed to protect your information. Access to Personal Information is authorized only for EarthLink employees and Service Providers who have a business need for such access, in accordance with applicable laws.|
|Your Choices and Rights||You can manage your information, and in some circumstances, you may be able to opt-out of receiving certain marketing communications, change your communication preferences, and access and update your account information. These choices and other rights may vary depending on your state’s laws. If you are a California resident, please visit our Privacy Notice for California Residents for more information about your rights under the CCPA.|
|Children||Our Services are not directed at or intended for use by children, nor do we knowingly collect information from children under 16 years of age.|
|How to Contact Us||If you have any questions about this Policy or how to manage your personal information, please contact us at [email protected] or EarthLink, LLC, Legal Department, 980 Hammond Drive NE, Suite 400, Atlanta, Georgia 30328.|
- How we collect and obtain your Personal Information;
- How we share your Personal Information to provide EarthLink Services to you; and
- How you can review and manage certain Personal Information and information sharing.
2. Information EarthLink Receives or Collects From You
To provide you with our Services, we collect your “Personal Information.” Personal Information is data that identifies, relates to, describes, or can be used to contact, or could reasonably be linked directly or indirectly to you. Examples of the categories of Personal Information we collect directly from you as you visit or interact with our Services include, but are not limited to, the following types information:
- Personal Details: Means information by which you may be personally identified, such as your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, and any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline. You may provide this information to us by filling in forms on our website or at the time you registered for EarthLink Services, for example.
- Payment and Account Information: Means transaction and activity information about your EarthLink Services and/or EarthLink account; your customer account and billing records, including your credit card number; your interactions with our customer service and/or technical support representatives over the telephone, email, or through online chat.
- Community and Social Media Posting: In certain instances, you may have the ability to send us testimonials, reviews, and feedback and/or post comments, images, or information using any of our community social networking features available on or accessible through our social networking pages or through our Services (“Feedback”). You should be aware that any Feedback that you submit in the course of these community social networking activities can be read, collected, or used by us or other users and visitors to our websites or social networking pages. Your Feedback contributions are posted and transmitted to others at your own risk. We are not responsible for the information you choose to make public in any of our community social networking features.
We may also receive certain categories of Personal Information from third parties, such as third party websites, applications, and services. The categories of Personal Information that we obtain from third parties include your name, email address, and/or other contact information.
In some cases, California requires that we use different names to describe the categories of information that we collect. For more information about these categories, please see our Privacy Notice for California Residents.
3. Information EarthLink Collects Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Services, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect or generate certain Personal Information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details about your visits to our Services, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on our Services.
- Information about your computer or device’s Internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our website(s) and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
Third party websites linked to or from EarthLink Services may have information practices different from ours. You should consult the other websites’ privacy policies because we have no control over information that is submitted to, or collected by, these third parties. The inclusion of a link to a third party website does not imply an endorsement of the website by EarthLink or any association with the third party website’s operators.
5. How EarthLink Uses the Information We Receive or Collect
EarthLink uses information about you or that you provide to us, including your Personal Information, for one or more of the following business or commercial purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information to us or through the use of our Services.
- To send you marketing communications about offers, promotions, upcoming events, and other products and services that we offer or that we offer in conjunction with an affiliate company as permitted by law.
- To alert you to the latest developments and features on our Services and to notify you of administrative information, such as security or support and maintenance advisories.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To monitor and improve your EarthLink Services, including for testing, research, analysis, and product development.
- To protect against fraudulent, abusive, unauthorized, or unlawful use of the EarthLink Services.
- To process your job applications with us and for customary human resources purposes.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
6. How EarthLink Shares Information We Receive or Collect with Others
- With our contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who perform services or functions on our behalf (collectively, “Service Providers”).
- With online advertisers or ad tech companies who may provide you with targeted advertising and marketing communications through our Services, where permitted by law (collectively, “Ad Partners”).
- With your consent.
When EarthLink uses Service Providers to perform business functions on our behalf, including third party vendors, we require them through contracts to treat your information confidentially and to only use your information for the express purpose of providing the specific business functions for EarthLink. Examples of such Service Providers include, but are not limited to: (i) merchant banks for credit card authorizations, (ii) collection agencies, and (iii) and customer service companies.
Feedback You Provide on Our Social Media Pages: EarthLink offers publicly accessible and available profiles on social media platforms that you may access and post Feedback. Such information is subject to the privacy policies of those social media companies and the methods available, if any, for changing privacy settings and removal of content. If you provide us with a testimonial, review, or any other Feedback, you authorize us to publish it on all our Services under the name or username you provided and to aggregate it with other users’ Feedback.
7. Protection of Children
Protecting children’s privacy is especially important to us. You must be 18 years of age or older to order and receive the EarthLink Services. No one under the age of 16 may provide information to or on the website. EarthLink does not knowingly ask for or collect information from any person under the age of 16. If you are under 16, do not use or provide any information on our website or through any of its features, make any purchases through the website, or provide any Feedback. If EarthLink learns that it may have collected or received information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child under 16 has provided us with information, please contact us at [email protected].
8. How EarthLink Protects the Security of Your Information
EarthLink has implemented an information security program that contains administrative, technical, and physical controls that are designed to safeguard your information, including your Personal Information. We use industry standards to secure your information when it is being collected and transmitted over the Internet, as well as firewalls, security monitoring, encryption, and intrusion detection software. Although we cannot guarantee that our information security program will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use or disclose your information, we maintain security and incident response practices to handle incidents involving unauthorized access, use, or disclosure of your information.
Under our practices and policies, access to Personal Information is authorized only for EarthLink employees and Service Providers who have a business need for such access, and records are retained in accordance with applicable laws. EarthLink employees and Service Providers are trained on the importance of protecting privacy and on the proper access to, use of, and disclosure of Personal Information. As an extra precaution, you should not share your password to your EarthLink account with anyone.
9. How to Access and Update Your Account Information
EarthLink provides you with access to your account information, as well as the ability to update this information through your online EarthLink account or by calling EarthLink Customer Service. To contact Customer Service via telephone or live chat, go to www.earthlink.net/contact for the EarthLink Services. Once we have verified your identity, we will provide you with access to and/or update your account information. If we cannot verify the identity of the person making the request or suspect fraudulent or malicious activity from your EarthLink account, we will deny the request and inform you of the reasons. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
10. Managing Your Information Choices
Promotional, Marketing Communications From EarthLink: You may exercise your option to opt out from receiving email marketing communications from EarthLink by (i) clicking the links under communications preferences on the bottom of the email marketing communications or (ii) visiting your EarthLink account. If you choose to opt out of email marketing communications, you will still receive newsletters and other non-account specific messages from EarthLink. You may opt out of receiving EarthLink newsletters by clicking on the link at the bottom of the newsletter or by visiting your EarthLink account.
You also may contact EarthLink Customer Service via telephone or live chat regarding your opt in or opt out choices. We generally respond to such requests within 48 hours of receiving a request, but it may take up to 30 days depending on the volume of requests we receive. Your opt out choices will remain in effect until you change them.
We will continue to send you transaction confirmation emails and other Services-related announcements when it is necessary to do so. For instance, if any of our Services are temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send you an email. Generally, you may not opt out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature.
You may modify your contact preferences regarding any marketing communications sent by us using automated or manually dialed calls, text messages, and pre-recorded messages by going directly to your EarthLink account or calling EarthLink Customer Service. You also may text STOP in response to any text message from EarthLink to stop receiving text messages from EarthLink.
Tracking Technologies: All browsers are different, so visit the “help” section of your browser to learn about cookie preferences and other privacy settings that may be available. For example, you can manage cookie preferences set by EarthLink by adjusting the settings in your browser not to accept cookies. If your browser is set to reject cookies, EarthLink will not be able to provide you with personalized features on EarthLink’s website(s). The EarthLink website(s) do not honor “Do Not Track” requests from browsers. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” you can visit www.allaboutdnt.com/.
Targeted Advertising: EarthLink uses and works with a variety of advertising networks and Ad Partners that customize and serve third party advertisements or other content on EarthLink Services. The servers of these advertising networks place and access cookies and other similar technologies in browsers to collect information about your visits to EarthLink Services in order to serve relevant ads. Information collected via the data collection technologies described in this section may be linked to other information about you and may be considered Personal Information. We do not control Ad Partners’ data collection technologies or their use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, such Ad Partners may provide you with ways to opt out from having your information collected or used in this way. You can learn more about opting out of receiving targeted ads by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s website and learning about its consumer choice tools at www.youradchoices.com/control. If you would like more information about online advertising in general, you can go to www.networkadvertising.org/faq/.
11. Your Privacy Rights Under State Laws
California Residents: If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your Personal Information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit oag.ca.gov/privacy/privacy-laws.
Maine Residents: EarthLink does not sell its customers’ Personal Information. However, if you are a resident of Maine and an EarthLink Internet customer, we will first obtain your express and affirmative consent prior selling your Personal Information. Additionally, in certain circumstances and subject to applicable law, you may have the right to opt-out of any use, disclosure, or access to your non-personal information by sending an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Maine Opt-Out Request” along with your first and last name, billing address, zip code, account number(s), and whether you are a former or current EarthLink Internet customer.
Nevada Residents: EarthLink does not sell its customers Personal Information. However, if you are a resident of Nevada, you may apply limits to the sale of certain Personal Information to third parties for resale or licensing purposes, subject to applicable law. You are entitled to submit your preference for limits on such sales by sending an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Nevada Do Not Sell Request,” along with your first and last name, billing address, zip code, account number(s), and whether you are a former or current EarthLink customer.
12. International Visitors
14. How to Contact Us
Effective Date: February 1, 2021.